After a bad case of fatigue I’m feeling rejuvenated and inspired by social media once again. How did you bounce back so quickly I hear you ask… someone asked me why I like social media. SO why do I like social media, what excites me about social media?
- Social Media is forever changing, evolving and expanding.
- People use social media for different reasons. Some for networking, some for ego, some for fun, some to learn, some to argue or converse on an informed topic.
- Each channel has its own function and you need to think about the message you use on each
- Social Media is measurable
- Social Media gives us the opportunity to have conversations with consumers, and they now expect that
- Social Media changes people, and people change Social Media.
- Social Media is your friend, if you understand it listen to it and change with it you will stay friends.
These are the top 15 stats that excite me about Social Media sourced from Tom Pick’s 87 More Vital Social Media Marketing Facts and Stats for 2012;
- 30% of the world’s entire population is now online, and social networking is the most popular and time consuming online activity—with users spending more than one fifth (22%) of their time engaging on social media channels. This means that more than 250 million tweets and 800 million Facebook status updates are now published every single day. (MindJumpers)
- 90% of marketers now use social networks in their marketing efforts, but growth has plateaued; the figure was 89% in 2011. (eMarketer)
- Looking at five leading social networks (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+ and Pinterest), Fortune 100 company names are mentioned more than 10 million times per month. (Digital Buzz Blog)
- 52% of CEOs who are active in social media say that it helps their companies rise in search rankings, and 48% say that social media has generated qualified sales leads. (41 Stories)
- 40% of organizations have a formal social media policy, and 56% of those policies include a statement regarding the organization’s right to monitor social media usage. More than a third (39%) of companies monitor their employees social media use on company-owned computers and handheld devices. (Resume Bear)
- 20% of all pageviews on the web are on Facebook. (Jeff Bullas)
- Social media fatigue? Though 20% of Facebook users say they check in on the social network once or twice per day, 52% plan to spend less time there in the future. (SodaHead)
- Twitter attracts one million new users per day. (Jeff Bullas)
- YouTube is the third-most-visited site on the web, with two billion views per day. (Jeff Bullas)
- The very first blogs appeared in 1998, and Blogger.com was launched in 1999. By 2006, there were more than 50 million blogs in existence. (HubSpot)
- Relevance is critical is content marketing. 45% of consumers have unsubscribed from emails due to irrelevant content, and on the B2B side, IT buyers say that 58% of vendor content is not relevant to them, and that this lack of relevance reduces the chance of closing a sale by 45%. (MarketingSherpa)
- 75% of searchers never scroll past the first page of results (which also means of course that 25% do). (Search Engine Journal)
- The average person is more likely to apply and be accepted by Harvard or be dealt a full house in poker than to click on a banner ad. (Get Elastic)
- 50% of all smartphone users use their devices to search the web, and 49% use them for social networking. (HubSpot)
- 97% of Pinterest’s Facebook “likes” are from women. (Jeff Bullas)
What excites you about Social Media Marketing?